The Frankfurt Book Fair

From the 9th to the 13th October 2013, the largest annual book fair will take place in Frankfurt, Germany. The Frankfurt Book Fair is a meeting place for industry experts and the most important marketplace for books, media, rights and licences worldwide.

In general, the fair gives publishers, and companies from various other strands of the publishing industry, the opportunity to exhibit their books on stands and gain mass exposure for their titles, while individual professionals can rent meeting spaces in the Literary Agents and Scouts Centre.

Montréal-Contacts @ Frankfurt Book Fair

We find it particularly indispensable as it facilitates international and cross-industry rights and licensing deals for content, i.e. the acquisition of titles for translation. For more details on our involvement in this year’s fair and how you can get involved:

international book fairs

For visiting publishers, and as I have experienced in previous years, the fair demands a lot of energy. Every year, we schedule 30 minute meetings from 9am to 6pm each day. Its spread out over a vast area, therefore, it’s advisable to plan and schedule meetings according to your location at all times, but you still end up running around like a mad-hatter!

airbnb frankfurt

We make sure to book our stand and accommodation in Frankfurt from one year to the next. During the fair, the price of a hotel room can cost three times its normal price. A popular alternative for accommodation, when working with a smaller budget, is Air BnB, which allows you to rent a private house usually not too far from the fair.

 

Some other nuggets of information…

frankfurt book fair play logo
In 2012, 7, 307 companies from 97 countries exhibited at the fair. 39% of exhibitors were from Germany, the other 61% from other countries wordlwide.

The fair is only open to professionals during the first three days, but over the weekend, the public can attend. However, neither publishers nor bookstores sell books during the fair. The public simply attend in order to view new titles and/or to meet their favourite authors.

  • The Nobel Prize Academy announces the Laurate for the literary prize during the fair, mounting anticipation in attending literary scouts.
  • The American companies are usually in hall 8; and since 2001, special security measures mean that bags are checked upon entrance to the hall.
  • To gain access to the Literary Agents and Scouts Centre, you must have an appointment scheduled with a present professional, otherwise you will not be admitted.

With over 500 years of history, attendance at the Frankfurt Book fair is a must for anyone who wants to be part of the international publishing scene.